It's the start of a new school year at my house, and with that I am determined to get back in to a smooth morning routine so that when our new addition (baby brother) arrives this fall I will somehow be able to get my girls to school by 7:55 am dressed, fed, and all in one piece. Enter, my new freezer. My mom asked me what I wanted for my birthday, and I got a new freezer- you know you are a mom and in your 30's when....right? Super excited though because I am stocking it up.
Try these yummy, super easy make ahead breakfast sandwiches for a quick morning breakfast on the run (or a quick dinner when you forget to plan something). So many times at class I hear moms say that they didn't have time for breakfast. They don't just say breakfast is the most important meal of the day for nothing! It really is! It gives you energy for the day and fuels your body and it starts your metabolism going.
6 Whole wheat pita bread, cut in half
6 slices of bacon (or turkey/chicken sausage if you like that better)
6 slices cheese
- First whisk the eggs to scramble. Spray your pan with cooking spray or oil and add two eggs. Once they have set, flip to cook the other side. Repeat for all of the eggs.
- While I was making the eggs, I baked my bacon in the oven at 400 degrees for roughly 10 minutes.
- Now all you have to do is assemble. Open the pita and put in the eggs, 1/2 a slice of cheese and 1/2 slice of bacon.
- To freeze, wrap individually in wax paper and put in freezer safe container
- To reheat, remove one from freezer, keep it wrapped and microwave 30 seconds, flip it over and cook for 15-30 seconds more.
- Jump in the car and enjoy on your way out the door, to school or to Stroller Strides! :)
I posted this on my Facebook page and several friends jumped in with other ideas. We aren't a big sauce family, but this could be really yummy with a sundried tomato or roasted red pepper sauce. Another friend mentioned using biscuits or english muffins instead of the pita. So take this recipe and use it for inspiration and adapt it for your family!