Hip hip hooray! Summer is finally here. The final school bells have rung, the water parks are spraying and the smell of sunscreen is in the air. There is so much to enjoy about the summer in Chicago area- the Zoo, the picnics along the beach and our favorite of course- Stroller Strides and Stroller Barre classes outside! No one wants to overheat this summer, so here are some tips to help keep you and your little one cool in class this summer:
- Don't forget your hats and sunscreen for both you and your little one
- Water, water and more water! Bring one bottle for your stroller to drink during class and one to keep in the car (not plastic!) to sip on your way home
- Don't over dress the little ones- remember that they are all warm and snug in the stroller or infant carrier already. Our classes by the lake can have extreme temperature changes, so pack layers.
- To keep babies and tots cool in the stroller or infant carrier, you can use soft ice packs (available at Dicks or Sports Authority) and wrap it in a light towel and place it behind their back. You can also freeze water overnight in a water bottle- be sure to leave some extra room at the top for expansion- and then place it in a sock and set it next to them in the stroller or older kiddo's can have fun playing with it. Bonus, you can drink the water on your way home!
- Clip on fans- you can buy battery operated stroller fans- I've seen them at One Step Ahead.
- Spray bottles- you can buy inexpensive spray bottles at Jewel or Walgreens to fill with water for a fun spray break between stations! Some even have fans attached to them.
- Squirt guns- enough said :)
- Cooling towels- I found a great cooling towel (believe me, this prego mama needs to keep it cool!) at Dicks, you get it wet and then it can wipe off with it during class and it gets cooler. I also just saw them at Costco in a two pack- one for you, one for your little one!
- And finally, don't forget to check our Facebook page. If there is ever a heat advisory or the temperature is projected to be above 90 at the start of class, we will head indoors for the day.
What's your favorite trick to keeping cool during class? Please share if you have any other ideas! Have a great summer everyone!